Friday, July 2, 2010

Sidewalk Surfing

I took yesterday off (from blogging, that is) to spend the day at the beach with my mom. We shopped in Capitola, had lunch at Palapas, and then frolicked near the ocean at Seascape (where Brian proposed!). It was a wonderful, relaxing, beautiful day. I even picked up these cute shoes:

100_2290.JPG

Aren't they adorable?! They are the new Sidewalk Surfers from Sanuk and they are so comfy. They have a rubber, flip-flop sole with a canvas upper and are super lightweight. I am looking forward to wearing them all summer long (and probably buying more...).

The hubs came home yesterday afternoon and we celebrated with iced lattes and leftovers. My sister-in-law and I watched a little Losing it with Jillian (have I mentioned that my SIL is living with us these days? She's actually been here for 6 weeks but is moving out this weekend) and then had a baking party in the kitchen. Carrie whipped up a batch of Camper's Chocolate Chip Cookies and I made some decadent double chocolate brownies (recipe below). I think I am going to try grilling pizza tonight!

I am scheduled for a 4-mile run today, but I've had a little nerve pain in my lower back lately that got pretty intense last night, so I'm going to rest up today and see how I feel this evening. I have 8 miles scheduled tomorrow (my longest run yet!) and I want to be able to do it pain free. Brian thought it might be my sciatic, but the pain is a little too high and centralized (it's just to the left of my coccyx) and doesn't run down the back of my leg. Any ideas?

This morning I made Brian an oatmeal pancake (because I forgot to buy his cereal while he was away - oops!). These were so easy and yummy! Last night I mixed together 1/2 cup of oats, 1 egg white, 1/4 cup of applesauce, 1/2T vanilla, and 1t baking powder. This morning I mixed in 1/2 a mashed banana and poured the mixture out on a hot grill. B ate it with warm maple syrup and said it was better than regular pancakes. Yum!

As promised, here is my brownie recipe. I originally intended to use 1/4c sugar and 1/4c agave nectar, but realized I was running low on agave, so (to celebrate my sweet-tooth husband being home), I just used all sugar. Ashley used sucanat and brown rice syrup in her version of these, which would be great, but would have required an extra trip to the store for me. Using sugar does not bother me as much as using oils and fats (I eat so little sugar to begin with), so I was perfectly happy sugaring these up!

Double Chocolate Brownies
[adapted from Mama Pea & The Edible Perspective]

Ingredients
  • 3/4c WW flour
  • 1/3c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2t baking powder
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 2t vanilla
  • 1/2c chocolate chips
  • 1/2 salt
Directions
1.    Preheat oven to 350*
2.    Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder + soda, coffee, and salt together in a large bowl.
3.    In a medium sized bowl combine applesauce, sugar, and vanilla until combined.
4.    Pour the wet into the dry and mix by hand until combined. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl but do not over mix. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
5.    Let rest for a few minutes and then mix in chocolate chips.
6.    Pour + spread evenly into an 8×8 greased pan.
7.    Bake ~20min until edges pull away from the pan or toothpick test.
8.    Let cool for at least 30min before cutting out of pan.

100_2288.JPG  
These were just as delicious as I imagined they would be. Sweet and chocolaty and dense... Yum. I might take Ashley's suggestion and add instant coffee to them next time. These might be some of the best brownies I have ever made - you need to make them right now!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment