Thursday, July 15, 2010

Too Hot for Soup?

My sweet husband is HOOOOOME!
 
Engagement Pictures - Kali Kraum Photography
But before he came home, I did a flat, fast, and hot 3-miler at the track in my parents' neighborhood.
Run stats? Glad you asked!
  • Total Mileage: 3.14mi
  • Total Time: 26.53
  • Average Pace: 8:33min/mi
I wanted to do 4, but my tummy started bothering me around mile 3. I walked a half mile to cool down and called it a day. C'est la vie!

After I picked B up from the airport, we grabbed lunch at Alotta's. Next to my family's grocery store, I think Alotta's has pretty much the best sandwiches on the planet. However, I forgot to ask for no mayo, so my veggie sammy was a little gloopy (blech!) and my stomach continued to feel weird for the rest of the day. Bummer.
Brian promptly fell asleep on the couch while I puttered around in the kitchen. Upon seeing these little cuties, I asked myself, Is it too hot for soup?
If produce could talk, they would have said, Yes, Megan, it is far too hot for soup! but I decided to make it anyway. Could you resist those cute little UFO squash? I sure couldn't.
Summer Squash and Gypsy Pepper Soup
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sweet gypsy peppers (bell peppers work too)
  • 3/4 pound summer squash, sliced thin crosswise (about 3 cups)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup low-salt chicken or vegetable broth

Method
1. In a large skillet cook onion in olive oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add gypsy peppers and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until pepper is softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in squash and garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.

3. Stir in broth and bring mixture to a simmer. Purée soup (in a blender or with an immersion blender) until smooth and transfer to a saucepan. Cook soup over moderate heat until just heated through, stirring in enough water to thin to desired consistency, and season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve with Tapatio, if you like it spicy (we do)!
I thought a giant bowl of steaming soup was just way too overwhelming, so I served it up in ramekins. Perfect! We also had leftovers of Angela's Time Crunch Enchiladas and a totally juicy and amazing honeydew melon from our CSA box. Yum.
Despite the staggering heat in my kitchen, I kept cooking after dinner (I know, I'm crazy). I have been wanting to try Heather's Oaties for a while now and knew Brian would want something sweet later on (Who am I kidding, I would want something sweet later too!). They were great!
Mmmmm, I almost just ate it all raw.
There is a sort-of funny story behind this silly penguin tin. I got this tin in college as a gift, full of some holiday treats, I can't even remember now. I keep wanting to get rid of it, because it's kind of ridiculous, but it's sort of become our designated "baked goods" tin. Whenever it is sitting on the counter, B knows I have been baking and he gets super excited. I guess I can't get rid of it now!

Our big plans for Friday include renting a carpet cleaner. Thrilling stuff!

What are you up to this weekend, friends?