Friday, September 24, 2010

Pumpkin Blueberry Muffins!

Last night I managed to peel myself off the couch (I have been so tired since school started, which is really bizarre - I have usually gotten past this by now) to make a messy egg scramble for dinner and then whip up some pumpkin-blueberry muffins.




I apologize for the poor picture quality. I snapped this at 6:30 this morning before I hit the road for work because I was afraid they would all be gone by the time I came home this afternoon. 


I let these cool for a bit last night before I broke one in half and took it to B as he was working on a lesson plan in the office. He peered at the blueberries then gave me a funny look and said, "It's a blueberry muffin? I thought you were making pump-" *takes a bite* "They're pumpkin-blueberry muffins!"


So yes, they're awesome. I took a dozen out of the oven at 8:30 last night and there were 6 remaining when I left for work this morning. I'm not sure when half of them disappeared, but I have a pretty good idea who is responsible! Fortunately, I did not use all of my can of pumpkin OR all of my frozen blueberries, so you can bet I'll whip up another batch this weekend (or maybe pumpkin-blueberry bread? I hate cleaning out my muffin tins...). 


Basically, these pretty much scream "fall" to me, even though it's supposed to be almost 90 degrees today... 


Global warming, what?




I made quite a few modifications to the original recipe, so here's my take on the perfect fall muffin:


Pumpkin-Blueberry Muffins
adapted from AllRecipes.com


Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour*
3/4 cup oats
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg*
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2T butter, melted
2T unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen and didn't even bother to thaw them)


Method

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour muffin pan or use paper liners.
  2. Mix the flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl until evenly blended. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, egg, butter, and applesauce. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, just until all ingredients are moistened. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling to the top.
  3. Bake in preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.

Cooking Notes:
*Next time, I might swap the proportions of white to whole-wheat flour (that is, use 1/2 cup WW and 1/4 cup white). The batter is SUPER moist with the pumpkin and butter and applesauce, it might hold up to a larger amount of WW flour without becoming too dense.
*I also might increase the spices slightly - maybe closer to 2/3t each of cinnamon and nutmeg?


In other news...




B and I are running the Moonlight 10K tonight! The moon has been so bright this week - it's going to be a beautiful full moon for the run! I am excited and a little nervous - I have been pretty lazy about working out in general and haven't run much in the last week or so because of my knee. I'm not looking to place or set a PR or anything, but I'd like to have a good run (since most of my races end up being bad runs!) and not aggravate my knee any more. 

What are your weekend plans?
After our race tonight, B and I are going to Cake Moda's Cupcake Wars at Crush Barrel Wine Market in SF on Saturday night with our friends Lindy and Ryan as part of B's 29th birthday celebration! I think we will take the DSLR and hopefully get some great pictures (and drink some great wine while sampling cupcakes)! It's basically a foodie's dream come true.