Friday, September 24, 2010

More Fall Flavors

Lately, I've been eating a lot of overnight oats, even though I haven't posted about it. I've been trying to perfect a recipe that I am actually excited to enjoy in the morning, since I'm kind of sensitive to textures and there's just something about bloated, slimy, cold oats that doesn't really appeal to me unless it tastes awesome (I know, I'm really selling you on the overnight oats idea with that description!).

[Source]
Well, I think I've found a combination that works for me. It actually happened by accident, when I realized that we were out of milk one night. I fretted for a few minutes since I had already mixed the oats and yogurt, but then saw a jar of applesauce in the back of the fridge. Jackpot! This has been my overnight oats recipe for the last week or so:

Basic Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

  • 1/3c oats
  • 1/3c plain yogurt
  • 1/3c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1-2t almond or peanut butter
  • handful of raisins
  • sprinkle of cinnamon

Method:

  1. Mix and refrigerate overnight.


Until last night, when I had a huge can of Libby's open as a result of my Pumpkin Blueberry Muffin baking adventure. Now, I made pumpkin overnight oats this summer and DID NOT like them. I think I had two bites and threw the rest away. I'm not sure if it was the maple syrup or just that it was still so dang hot out that I wasn't feeling the fall flavors yet, but they just did not sit well with me. I was willing to give them another go though and I had a feeling that the addition of applesauce might be the key here...



Apple-Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats

Ingredients

  • 1/3c oats
  • 1/3c pumpkin puree
  • 1/3c unsweetened applesauce
  • handful of raisins
  • sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice


Method:
  1. Mix and refrigerate overnight.


These oats were incredible! So incredible, in fact, that I put them in an empty PB jar and savored them all the way into 3rd period today, when my students asked, horrified, if I was eating peanut butter straight out of the jar (like that would be so horrible!).

While we're on the topic of things I'm eating from my desk today, I also just finished this yummy salad:


Mixed greens, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, chickpeas, BBB dressing, goat cheese.

Two more hours of student testing, then I am outta here!