Thursday, September 16, 2010

Unwind

As soon as I typed that title, I was reminded of a super-creepy young adult novel I read last year by Neal Shusterman by the same name and now I am totally creeped out remembering how weird it was! I might have nightmares...
 
B and I went running this afternoon. I planned to do 4 miles, but around 2.5 my knee started hurting (I forgot my brace again, I am a dummy). I managed to finish 3.1 miles (5K) in about 27 minutes, then power-walked the rest of the way in.

I was a little disappointed that like two weeks ago I ran a flipping half marathon and today I couldn't even complete 4 miles, so I decided to unwind with a little yoga.


....Unwind was the wrong word to use there. Jillian's Yoga Meltdown is a WORK. OUT. I was shaky and dripping with sweat when I finished. I find Jillian herself pretty obnoxious, but I have to admit, she knows her stuff. The workout combines power yoga poses with repetitions and intervals. My heart rate was up - it is definitely aerobic. I also didn't get bored or distracted, which tends to happen when I practice traditional yoga. However, it did not help me unwind! I took a long, hot shower afterward and felt a little better.

For dinner we just scrambled eggs and ate them in a tortilla with prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese. Sometimes, you just want eggs for dinner!

Last night, though, I made a pretty awesome soup. I recommend you make this soup immediately and then eat it for every subsequent meal for the next week, since that's about how much soup this makes.

[Source]

Mexican Inspired Vegetable Soup
from Shutterbean

Ingredients
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 1 32 oz. container vegetable stock
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a heaping one is just fine)
  • 1 bunch kale, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & chopped
  • 2 12 oz. cans black beans, rinsed & drained
  • 3 corn tortillas, diced
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • hot sauce
  • salt & pepper
Method
In a large pot, heat olive oil with onions on medium heat and cook until onions are transparent. Add the carrots, garlic and cumin to the pot and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and canned tomatoes to the pot, raise the heat to medium high. Add the kale, zucchini, red pepper, sweet potatoes and black beans to the pot and bring to a boil.  Add in your tortillas, half of your chopped cilantro and a few splashes of hot sauce and stir.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.  In that 15 minutes, add the rest of your cilantro and taste the soup every now and then to see if it needs more salt, pepper or hot sauce.


I actually took pictures of this myself, but these are pictures that Tracy took because I'm too lazy to get my butt off the couch and get my camera. Doesn't it look yummy?

[Source]

Do you practice yoga?