Thursday, November 4, 2010

Easy Crockpot Carnitas

Me and my crockpot were at it again last night!


You'll just have to believe me when I say that we actually ate these awesome carnitas as tacos, since this is literally the only picture I took of the entire meal. I know you won't have any trouble believing me when I say that these are, perhaps, the best thing I've ever made in my crockpot.

Crockpot Carnitas
adapted from Kelle Hampton

Ingredients
  • one 1lb pork tenderloin
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 jar salsa verde
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 can chopped green chiles
  • 1/4 cup red salsa
  • 1/2 can black beans

Method
  1. Put pork tenderloin and chopped onion in your crockpot
  2. Pour salsa verde, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and red salsa over the pork.
  3. Cook on low for 8 hours. Use a fork to shred pork near the end of cooking.
  4. Around 20 minutes before serving, add black beans and stir to combine. Allow to heat through.
  5. Serve with tortillas, avocado, more salsa, sour cream, etc.

Seriously, they could not be easier. If you don't eat pork (or just don't like it), I imagine you could do these with chicken as well. I would use bone-in, skinless breasts and thighs. As evidenced from my experience cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot, the meat will shred nicely (but you might need to use your fingers).

And after dinner, you can enjoy hazelnut butter on whole wheat toast with chocolate chips. Yum.