Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kitchen Envy

Lately, I have been lamenting the fact that I don't have a double oven. I know this is a luxury for most people, but my parents have always had a double oven and I would give anything for one! When I think about my meal plan for the week, I always find myself thinking, "No, I can't make the roasted cauliflower with the pork tenderloin in the oven at the same time, I need a side dish I can cook on the stove top!" Does this happen to anyone else?

[Source]

For some reason, I get really inspired to cook on Tuesdays. The Monday slump is over and I just feel much more willing to spend a little extra time on my feet (I am on my feet all day long, after all!) on Tuesdays.

I came home today ready to cook, but I wanted to make chicken and cornbread and a dessert bar - all in the oven! I knew that if I wanted to get it all done, I should just get started right away instead of sitting around on the couch reading blogs for an hour. :)

I started by making Emily's Jalapeno Cornbread. I subbed AP flour and dairy milk and made them in a baking dish instead of as muffins (because I hate cleaning my muffin tin and I always forget to buy liners!).


 Then, I decided to treat my husband (OK, and myself!) and make a batch of Pumpkin & White Chocolate Bars that I have been eying for a few days.


Finally, I bookmarked this recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken in Food & Wine months ago and decided to try it this week.


All three get the Ellis Seal of Approval, but the Pumpkin & White Chocolate Bars are crazy good. B says, "They taste like the holidays!" And they do. Go make them now. I've exhausted myself from all this cooking.