Monday, October 4, 2010

I heart polenta

Thanks for all your sweet comments on my Marie Claire drama response. It is so heartwarming and exciting to know that there are so many other great ladies (and gentlemen!) out there who share a lot of the same ideas. I hope we can all move forward with honesty!

---

It is officially FALL out here in California (totally crazy, since just last week it was almost 100 degrees)! It's currently a blustery 62 degrees with rain on the forecast for Wednesday! I decided to make a quick and filling Ellis favorite for dinner tonight: Parmesan Polenta with Eggs and Roasted Mushrooms.

I don't know why I don't make this more often; it is so good and literally takes 20 minutes, including prep! It's even faster if you buy your mushrooms already sliced, like I did this week because I was totally lazy.

 Mmmmm.... mushrooms!

 Even better - ROASTED mushrooms!

This is one of those meals that, when I tell B I am going to make it, he goes "Yesssss!" and runs around the room like my students when they get an A on a test.


 Parmesan + Polenta


Parmesan Polenta with Eggs and Roasted Mushrooms
from The Kitchn


Ingredients

  • 1 lb mushrooms
  • 2T olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp pepper flakes (we like our food spicy, so I use a heaping 1/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp coarse salt
  • 1/2 c polenta
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 c water
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 c shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • chives for garnish (optional)
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Chop mushrooms (if necessary!)
  3. Toss mushrooms with oil, pepper flakes, and salt on a baking sheet.
  4. Spread in single layer and roast until browned, about 10 mins.
  5. Meanwhile, whisk polenta, milk, water, and salt together in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, covered.
  6. After reaching a boil, turn heat to low and let sit with lid cracked for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
  7. While polenta is cooking, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat and crack the eggs so that they are sunny side up. 
  8. Cook about a minute and then add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet. Water will sizzle - cover so the yolks steam and set to your liking.
  9. Mix Parmesan into polenta, plate on a dish, spoon mushrooms over and top with egg. Garnish with snipped chives (I've never done this, but it sure sounds good!)
Oh, and in case you were wondering - here are the remains of the carrot cake I ate as "pre-workout fuel." It got me through my 40-minute spin session wonderfully.

Just being honest. :)







 P.S. One day, I will update my recipes page. Wouldn't that be nice?