Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Veggilicious Fall Chili

I'm getting ready to leave for Washington DC for the long weekend and want to leave B with food so he doesn't try to survive on granola and taqueria tacos (not that he would mind).


Last week, I doubled an enchilada recipe and stuck half in the freezer, so all he has to do is let it defrost, then smother it with salsa and cheese and stick it in the oven (are you listening, honey?). Tonight, I made a huge pot of chili - perfect for this blustery fall weather!

Veggilicious Fall Chili
Ingredients
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1T chili powder
  • 1T cumin
  • 1 1/2t oregano
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 28oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
  • 1T chipotle peppers*
  • 13oz can black beans
  • 13oz can pinto beans
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 large handful chard, chopped
  • Sour cream & cilantro, for garnish

Method
  1. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
  2. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 1 minute.
  3. Add bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash. Cook for just a few minutes.
  4. Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers, beans, corn,  and chard. Stir to combine.
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
  6. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!

*I buy those cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and run them through my food processor. Then, I freeze them and chip off 1T pieces as I need them (1T equals 1 pepper!). I guess if I were really fancy, I would just freeze them in 1T pieces (maybe in an ice cube tray?), but I'm not that fancy.


I also made my own bread tonight!


I have always been so intimidated by bread, but Jenna's post a week or so ago inspired me.


It was so easy! A lot like making pizza dough, but with more waiting.


I did yoga while the rolls rose.




And after dinner, I cooked up some of those frozen Apricot Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookie dough balls I made a few weeks ago.


Not bad for a Tuesday.