Friday, July 16, 2010

Pizza Grilling, Take 2!

Oh yes, my friends. B and I fired up the BBQ for some more pizza grilling goodness tonight!
That head of garlic in the last post? Roasted, pureed with sun dried tomatoes, and smeared on a pizza crust. This, dear readers, is living!
Let's back up. I started by getting super organized (the key to a successful pizza grilling endeavor).
Then, while B got the grill ready, I sliced up the last tomato from our CSA box and made a yummy little salad with feta, basil from our herb garden, and fancy balsamic. This is maybe my favorite salad in the world.
Then the pizzas hit the grill! As usual, we made two varieties.

For a run-down of how we grill pizzas on the BBQ, check out this post.

California Veggie Pizza
  • red pizza sauce (from TJ's, but sometimes I make my own)
  • mozzarella
  • artichoke hearts
  • gypsy pepper strips
  • LOVE

OMG I Can't Believe What I Just Put in My Mouth Pizza (no, there's no better name for it)
  • roasted pepper & sundried tomato "pesto" (recipe below)
  • mozzarella
  • red onions
  • roasted red peppers
  • fresh basil
  • feta
The second pizza.... I don't even have words for how delicious that pie was. Roasted garlic, fresh basil, freaking FETA. Just... WOW. Wowowow. Make this pizza.

NOW!


Oh yeah, I promised you a recipe!

Roasted Garlic and Sundried Tomato "Pesto"
Ingredients
  • 1 head of garlic
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1/3 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained - reserve oil
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Slice off the top of the head of garlic, place in a small baking dish
  3. Drizzle with 1T olive oil
  4. Bake until garlic cloves are light brown, about 35min
  5. Remove from oven; let cool
  6. Using fingers, squeeze out roasted garlic cloves into food processor; add sundried tomatoes
  7. Pulse until almost smooth, adding enough reserved oil to form a paste