Thursday, October 28, 2010

Theta Breakers Race Recap

This past Sunday I ran the Theta Breakers Run for the Children at Stanford University. I didn't have to specify when I registered whether I would be running the 5K or the 10K, but just assumed I would do the 10.

Then, I started thinking about how little I have run lately and how much my knee has bothered me on runs longer than 4 miles.

And then I saw that it was supposed to rain all day Sunday.

So I decided to do the 5K instead because I am a wimp. :)

Sure enough, it was wet and gloomy on Sunday. The race was scheduled to begin at 9 and it drizzled the entire drive there.

It was a super-small race (less than 300 runners total between the 5K and 10K) put on by the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority at Stanford. I lined up in the rain with about 150 other 5K runners and took off at 9am.

It was cold and my lungs struggled for a bit. There was some confusion amongst sorority girls regarding the actual course, so when my Nike+ told me there were only 400 yards to go, I turned on the juice, only to realize that I had another 1/2 mile to run! My knee didn't bother me, but I took it easy anyway. Here are the results:

  • Total Mileage: 3.3mi (we got an apology email on Monday!)
  • Total Time: 30:30
  • Average Pace: 9:49 min/mi
  • Overall Place: 75/151
  • Female 20-35 Place: 10/23

I don't usually run 5Ks, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I felt a little pressure to run faster than normal because the course was so short and really only felt like I was just getting warmed up by the time I crossed the finish line. I still prefer the 10K distance for racing, but this was a nice change. I need to get back on the trail though because I have a 10K on November 13!