Friday, October 1, 2010

Pizza Thursday!

Today is B's birthday!

[Source]

Happy birthday, honey!

I have lots of fun things planned for this weekened (I love birthdays!), but let's back up to last night.

Pizza Thursday!

Because we are going out to a fancy dinner tonight, I moved Pizza Friday to Thursday and whipped up a pie that has been hanging out in my bookmarked recipes for a few months now - Spinach, Bacon, and Feta!

You are supposed to make this with a sun-dried tomato pesto, but we just used regular old basil pesto and it was great. I started by mixing up a batch of whole-wheat thin crust pizza dough while B made pizza sauce (this is a really great recipe - you will never buy pizza sauce again!). I must have been distracted while measuring the flour because the dough was as sticky as bubblegum at first! If this happens to you, just add more flour one tablespoon at a time until you get a workable consistency.

Pizza before hitting the pizza stone:


Pizza after baking for 5 minutes, then topped with crumbled bacon and feta and then baked for another 3 minutes:


We made a simple salad and devoured an entire pie. Fortunately, we made two so I have leftovers in my lunchbox for this afternoon!


After dinner, I made B put a hot compress on his face because he had a stye that looked like it was getting infected...

TMI? I wasn't planning to tell this story, but then I took this picture and it was too funny to just leave on my camera:


He was not a happy camper.

But this morning he was much more pleasant when he got to take his coffee to work in his brand-new San Jose Earthquakes travel mug!


I am the best wife ever. :)

Hope you all have stellar weekends planned! I'll be back on Sunday with an update on all our birthday festivities!