Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sweet Saturday Morning

I love Saturday mornings. I sleep in but am still usually up before Brian. While he sleeps, I make coffee, read the paper, and usually play around in the kitchen. This morning I woke up with one thing on my mind - PUMPKIN!

Although I still haven't found any canned pumpkin (but only because I've been too busy this week to look), I remembered that I had about 1 cup of pumpkin puree in the freezer from last fall! I busted it out and defrosted it post-haste with visions of scones dancing in my head!

I took Angela's pumpkin scone recipe, but made some switches with the original recipe so they were sweeter and not vegan, but still healthier. 


They were a hit! Possibly my most successful baked good to date (this is a big deal, I'm a horrible baker)!

Meg's Hybrid Pumpkin Scones
inspired by Oh She Glows and Food.com

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat  flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • Turbinado sugar, to garnish
Spiced Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1.5-2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a non-stick mat.
  2. In a large bowl mix the first 9 ingredients.
  3. Take the cold butter and cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly (I use my food processor).
  4. In a medium sized bowl, mix the pumpkin, egg, vanilla, and milk.
  5. Add wet to dry and mix until a ball forms.
  6. Place the ball of dough on a floured surface. Flour your hands lightly and knead a few times..
  7. Shape the dough into a circle and then cut into 8 triangles (a pizza wheel works really well for this step!).
  8. Beat the egg slightly and, with a pastry brush or a spoon, brush onto each scone.
  9. Sprinkle generously with sugar and bake for 12 minutes. Rotate halfway through.
  10. While cooling, make the spiced glaze by beating 1 cup powdered sugar with milk and spice until smooth.
  11. When scones are cool ice and enjoy! I piped the icing using a ziplock bag, but you could drizzle it with a whisk or just cover the whole scone.

While cooking up a storm, I decided to try some of the Creme Brulee coffee that Caftea sent me this week!


I will be honest, I was a little apprehensive. I don't like flavored coffee very much and this smelled very sweet when I opened the bag. However, once I brewed it up (french press, hooray!) the sweetness was very subtle and the taste was really smooth! 


I was worried that the vanilla and brown sugar flavors, but they were very mellow and really complimented the coffee. I had 2 cups! You can pick up a bag in my OpenSky shop.

We have a FUN weekend planned, so be sure to check back later for all the details!