Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Big Reveal

Happy Tuesday! I woke up early for a 6-mile run and then decided to drink coffee and read instead. Does it sound like I'm getting tired of training? Because I am. Only 19 days until the big race!


The mystery ingredients yesterday were used to whip up a batch of Chocolate Chip "Sarahbars" from Mama Pea. I love me some Larabars, but I don't love paying $1.50/bar for, essentially, ground up trail mix. I'm a snob, I know.


These bars are legit folks. And so easy. And cheap! The most difficult part of this recipe was forming them into one big sheet to refrigerate. I kept pressing them out too thin and thinking, "Well, that's way too thin for a snack bar!" I finally got smart and used a bread pan as a mold.


They are still a little thin (definitely thinner than Sarah's), but totally still munch-able. I cut them into 8 squares for optimal munching.


I think it might work to press the dough into a mini muffin tin for "Larabar shots." I'll try that next time. I just get way too overzealous when pressing out dough. It's that thin crust pizza maker in me, I guess!

SPOILER ALERT: We're grilling pizza again this week! Stay tuned!

In other exciting news, I signed up for a very cool project yesterday - ItStartsWith.Us.
The premise behind ItStartsWith.Us is simple, you join the team (you only have to give your name and email address) and every week you'll get an email with an "assignment" that takes 15 minutes or less to complete but that will make life better for someone else.
The goal of ItStartsWith.Us is to build a global community of individuals focused on making a positive impact in the lives of the people around them.

Each and every one of us has the ability to change the world by touching lives in this way. And when we hear stories about the positive things others are doing, we become more aware of the opportunities we have to make a difference for the people around us. [source]
This is a really exciting movement that is expanding quickly. If you're a fan of Operation Beautiful (who isn't?!), you will really love their Love Bomb team. Once a week, they come together to drop hundreds of love bombs (in the form of blog comments) for those who need it most.

I'm looking forward to getting involved and blogging about the experience. Perhaps you'll join me? Click here to sign up (and if you're a blogger, grab a button and add it to your site to spread the word)!