Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yoga Puppy

I got back from my 6-miler this evening and got down on the floor to do some yoga. This little goober decided to join me. Talk about downward dog!


Backing up, I enjoyed another relaxing day at my parents' house today. I decided to whip up a batch of Angela's Healthy Carrot Cake Power Scuffins. Brian loves carrot cake, and scones, and muffins and pretty much any baked good, so I thought it might be nice to have a healthier alternative for him to take to work once school starts again.

By the way, here is the kitchen I've been cooking in this week:

Ridiculous, right?

My parents bought this house when I was a freshman in high school and it was a total pit. They basically tore it down completely and rebuilt it from the ground up. The original kitchen was about the size of the guest bathroom in our two bedroom apartment!


I love that fireplace. It's so wonderful and cozy to have a fireplace in the kitchen during the winter. I spent many evenings sitting at that table doing my homework in high school!

On to the "scuffins." I only made a few modifications, mostly because I wasn't cooking in my own kitchen. I thought my Mom had raisins, but she only had currants. I like currants, but I think it would be even better with plump raisins. I also used brown rice flour instead of spelt flour, since that's what we had at the grocery store. I don't think it made a huge difference in the taste, but next time I might do a mix of brown rice and whole wheat flours since it does tend to have a little "nutty" flavor.


In general, these were really great! I had half of one out of the oven and thought they were just a little "meh." I had the other half once they had cooled and thought it was a lot better. I feel the same way about peanut butter desserts too, though. I think they taste way better once they are cooled. Is this just a weird "me thing?"


I am looking forward to trying Angela's pumpkin variety as well as this yummy zucchini alternative as well!

Despite my general laziness this week, I did finally manage to get my 6-mile run in that I was originally supposed to do on Tuesday! I waited until the evening and went out to the track, but took it easy since my joints are pretty sore.

The good news is that cardio/fitness-wise, I'm feeling great! I seriously feel like I could just run forever without getting tired. It's an awesome feeling! However, my right knee is hurting pretty badly and that discourages me. I am worried that in pushing myself to finish my training strong, I might be jeopardizing my chances at being able to actually run my race!

I am just going to continue listening to my body and supplementing some of my shorter runs with spinning if I am hurting too much. Only 23 more days!

Here are my run stats from tonight:

  • Total Mileage: 6.01mi
  • Total Time: 55:40min
  • Average Pace: 9:15min/mi

So now I'm icing my knee with frozen edamame while watching Project Runway.


It's too early to call a winner, but my heart just breaks for adorable little Mondo! Also, I am going to start calling my best friends "hip buddies." Casanova is so crazy!

Tomorrow I have the first of many meetings at the district office for my new job. Hooray for signing up for health insurance!

How do you handle physical setbacks when you are in the middle of training?
It's not like I can just take a few weeks off until my knee feels better... Right?